Why I won’t be upgrading to iOS 7 next Wednesday

iphone5s5cUnless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the last week you’ll probably be aware that Apple announced 2 new iPhone models this week – the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s (pictured above). Both launch on 20 September with the former taking pre-orders from today. Apple also announced that iOS 7, their major overhaul of the iPhone (and iPad) operating system will be available, worldwide, on Wednesday 18 September.

I won’t be upgrading.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the new OS looks fantastic and I back Jony Ive’s design 100%. Unfortunately for me, however, I can’t upgrade to the new OS because my ancient Mac Pro won’t support the tools required to develop for it.

XCode 5 requires Mac OS X Mountain Lion as a minimum spec. My first generation Mac Pro 1,1 won’t run the latest Mac OS so I’m stuck on OS X Lion until Apple see fit to launch the new “Darth Vader” Mac Pro sometime before the end of the year.

If any of the apps I’ve developed don’t work under iOS 7 I am (in a word) stuffed.

November
Realistically, I can’t see Apple launching the new Mac Pro until after the new version of Mac OS X (called Mavericks) comes out and rumours are pinning that at late October. That means a November launch (or even December) for the new hardware. There’s no telling how quickly I’ll be able to get my hands on one so it could even be next year before I can actively develop for iOS 7.

I’m not afraid to say that this prospect fills me with ten tonnes of the brown smelly stuff.

Ah well. There’s nothing I can do about it so I’ll just have to wait.

New iPhone
To end on a positive note, the announcement of the new iPhone hardware was good news. I like the look of the new iPhone 5s, especially it’s headline feature – a fingerprint sensor built right into the home button. Gone will be the days of having to repeatedly enter a passcode umpteen times a day. It’s time to upgrade my (now ancient) iPhone 4 for one of these babies. My wife already has designs on the iPhone 4 so it’ll stay around for a while yet.

I just need to work out whether to stay with O2 or move to one of the other carriers. O2 have announced 2 of their tariffs but no word yet from anyone else.